Thursday, October 6, 2011

Bye-Bye Luke

Hannah had a friend at her school named Luke.  From what I've been told by Hannah's teachers, Hannah and Luke were pals; they often played together and Luke liked to protect Hannah (e.g., give her ball back to her if it rolled away or if someone took it away from her).  Luke and his family left Denver in May for a new job in another state.  We learned of this in an interesting way.  We generally eat dinner together and talk about our day.  I usually ask Hannah how her day was and what she did at school.  Back in May, when I asked her this question, Hannah began saying "Bye-bye Luke" in response.  At first, I figured she was remembering the last significant event of her day at school - saying bye-bye to Luke when his parent picked him up.  But Hannah kept saying "Bye-bye Luke" in response to my questions, and I figured this Luke kid must be pretty important.  I finally started looking for Luke's mom to tell her how cute it was that Hannah kept saying "Bye-bye Luke."  I couldn't find her, so I talked to the school management and found out they had left.

To this day, five months after Luke left, Hannah still mentions Luke when we ask her about her day.  So, all this time, Hannah has been telling us how sad she is that she had to say bye-bye to Luke.  She's shortened her response to just "Luke" most of the time (omitting the "bye-bye"), but the point is still clear - Hannah misses her friend Luke.

On a lighter note, Hannah loved the play kitchen and chef's costume in her last classroom (Early Preschool 1).  She's now in Early Preschool 2 and I don't think they have a play kitchen, which must be a great disappointment.  They do have fire trucks, though, which is a thrill for Hannah (she loves fire trucks).  This is Hannah in July, baking something delicious, I'm sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment