Well I am very quickly learning that in order to capture all of the best moments, I need to write them down promptly! My brain doesn't hold onto things for enough time. As I sit here, I know there were so many things that Hannah said and did in the past couple days that I wanted to write down, but I didn't do it right away and now I've forgotten some things. Better luck next time, I guess. Here's what I can remember...
Hannah "helped" Daddy carve her first pumpkin on Saturday. By "help" I mean: (1) make faces at the flesh and seeds (she thought it was gross); (2) scribble on the pumpkin in the "stencil" we made for the cutout pattern; and (3) observe Daddy do the cutting. She actually really enjoyed it, and was quite proud of the finished product. She was excited to put the candle ("can-duh") in and see the jack-o-lantern light up.
On Sunday we went to a neighborhood Halloween party in the local "pocket park." There wasn't enough pizza, but that didn't matter - Hannah had a delicious cupcake for dinner. She was in heaven. As soon as she saw them on the table there was no going back. She eyed them longingly and told us repeatedly that she wanted a cupcake ("cuh-cake").
The party culminated in a parade around the park. It turned into a race, with some of the older kids running to see who could round the last corner first. I think the Thieses came in last place (or close to it).
Last night, Halloween night, we went to Leigh and Kevin's house for a party and some trick-or-treating. Before we left, we put some candy in a bowl that had a sign that read "please take one" taped to it and left it on our front porch. There was no candy left when we got home; hopefully it didn't all go to one kid. Hannah saw the bowl on the counter before we put it outside and asked, "What's that?" ("Uh-dat?"). I stumbled a little and said, "It's stuff, can you say "stuff?" Hannah called my bluff and said, "I wanna eat dat." I have no idea how she learns these things, but she knew it was something that tastes good.
Unlike last year, Hannah wore her costume and successfully requested and received some treats. Her first attempt at trick-or-treating, shown below, required some enticement (our friend Stephanie is doing the requesting, not Hannah), but she soon caught on and had a good time with her friends Ryan and Marianne. Hannah held onto that first lolly pop the entire night, along with a few other treats. On the way home, Hannah made sure to tell us, "I go home and eat it." Sorry, baby, but we put your candy in the empty candy bowl for some other kid's parents to deal with.
Hannah was very sweet to Emma on our way home from the party. Emma was tired and crying a little. Without any prompting from us, Hannah said, "No cry, Emma," a few times in a very loving voice, trying to console Emma. Quite endearing. I know those "sweet big sister" moments will become fewer as the years progress, so I'm going to cherish them while they last.
Yesterday was Emma's first day at Primrose (just part-time to hold her spot). She is doing well. Her naps are short as she is not used to all the noise, but she'll adjust. I think it's hardest for me. I really miss her when I leave her there! But today I got to have lunch and a birthday shopping spree with Ellie Mae who is visiting for a couple days, so leaving her there was definitely a good idea.
Hannah had a lot of fun playing with Ellie Mae this afternoon. I missed most of it because I was busy with a few other things, including putting Emma down for a nap and taking our ballots to a polling location. But I heard some "twinkle twinkle" singing, some imaginative play about Grover ("Doh-vuh") being sad, and some rolling on the floor to some song Ellie Mae knows (the rolling was prompted when I asked Ellie Mae what sushi rolls she wanted for dinner; Hannah heard the word "roll" and immediately started rolling on the floor). Even though Ellie Mae lives far away, it is so great that she comes to visit and Hannah really knows and loves her. Emma's not so sure yet... but she'll get there!
No comments:
Post a Comment