Wednesday, November 30, 2011

"Bye, school. I go driving now."

Hannah likes to say goodbye to people, but also to inanimate objects and places.  For example, she'll say, "Bye, nanny" to her blanket.  These goodbyes are usually followed by, "See you later."  Today, as we were driving away from school, Hannah said, "Bye, school.  I go driving now."  She's said goodbye to school before, but usually she says "see you later" or "see you tomorrow" afterward, not "I go driving now."

Hannah noticed the crescent moon as we were driving home, which made me happy.

At home, Hannah had her usual pre-dinner snack that she grabbed from the basket near the front door at school.  They leave little containers of cereal and graham crackers in a basket for the kids to grab at the end of the day.  I don't like it.  I don't want her having a snack so close to dinner, and I don't like the disasters that usually result (cereal spilled in the car or on the kitchen floor is a common one, or occasionally Oliver steals her graham cracker).  But she never forgets to grab her snack, so the kids must really like these treats (and I bet they are hungry).  Today's disaster was fairly amusing.  Hannah finished her cereal and wanted more.  She wanted more with some serious clout.  She got so worked up after I told her she couldn't have any more because we were having dinner soon that she could barely catch her breath.  I then found her opening the garage door and calling, "Daddy!  Daddy!" into the dark, empty garage.  She's already figured out that if she doesn't get what she wants from one parent, she might as well ask the other.  The results usually don't change, but it's worth a shot, right?  I couldn't help but laugh to myself at her meltdown.  I also felt bad, so I offered her some milk.  That didn't work, so I offered to get her her blanket.  That and some Sesame Street did the trick.  Gotta love the Street.

I told Hannah dinner would be ready soon and that we were having pizza.  She wasn't impressed.  I asked her what she wanted (not that I was going to make it, but I was curious) and she told me, "Bread.  Hot bread."  (We had take-and-bake bread with dinner last night.)  I loved that she specified "hot" bread, as opposed to ordinary bread that doesn't come out of the oven.  She's only two and she's already refining her bread preferences.  We're in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment