Sunday, June 2, 2013

First Broken Bone

I had my first trip to Childrens ER yesterday, what I'm told will be one of many to come as my girls continue to be active kids.  I got home from my one hour alone after Jim got back from his race (which involved, in part, a lovely pedicure) to find Emma crying on the floor.  jim said she had suddenly fallen off of the play slide in the backyard in between trips down the slide.  We were heading to my friend Farrell's going away party, so we just continued getting ready, despite Emma's crying.  Emma was not happy.  She was crying on and off in the car and at the party.  She seemed a little better after a nap in the car when I took her with me to fix my toenail polish after Hannah stepped on my toe.  Yes, I've got my priorities straight!  Truth be told, I thought she just had a headache.  I had no idea her arm hurt!  She's a good talker, but not that clear.  If only I had asked, "show me where it hurts," but alas, I did not.

Finally, about 2.5 hours after her fall, Jim noticed that she had some swelling in her arm and cried when she put weight on it, so I took her to the ER.  She was so good with the process, very patient and cooperative.  She understood what was going on.  It was so amazing to see how well she reacted to the situation.

Today, Emma turned two.  She was supposed to be getting a bike for her birthday, but instead she got a splint and sling (until she gets her cast).  What a lame birthday present.  But Emma still enjoyed her birthday and was mostly her normal self while we went to watch Daddy race at City Park and then had the Barnetts and Aunt Sammy over for cake (Emma loved singing "happy duh-day ee oo" to herself).  She only whimpered a bit when she forgot that her arm is hurt and put weight on it.  She is such a trooper.




2 comments:

  1. What a great sport and although I am VERY sorry that she broke her arm, she is absolutely adorable in her little sling. The joys of active children. Sammy broke his growth plate in his foot when he was Emma's age jumping off of Aunt Peggy's couch. It happens. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Bethany. She is quite cute in that sling... although she's refusing to wear it now! One day was enough for her. I'm told this will be the first of many ER trips... xo

      Delete