Monday, August 20, 2012

The Ranch

This past weekend Leigh and I took our kids to Vail and then to Leigh's dad's ranch. We took my car with all four kids. It was a little tight, but I'd say 2 adults, 4 kids, a double stroller and our luggage is not bad for my seven-seater. Hannah and Ryan sat in the back and watched Nemo and were silly.

That night we tried to put Hannah and Ryan to bed in a room together with a bunk bed (top mattress on the floor). That was a terrible idea. They played for 2 hours while we kept going in to tell them to go to sleep, and then we finally split them up. You can imagine how tired they were the next day. Hannah was quite the charmer.

On Sunday we went to the ranch. Ryan, Leigh and I went on a very short horse ride (Hannah was having none of that) and then everyone went on a wagon ride. That was fun. We had a BBQ and tried to put the babies down for a nap in pack n plays in the shade. They kept standing up and looking at us. Lindsey finally slept. Emma did not.

I think my favorite part of the day was going on the boat down the Colorado River adjacent to the ranch. It was quiet with just a couple spots with a few white caps. Emma loved the waves. I think Hannah did too, despite getting splashed (she was up front).

The ride home gave us some quiet time. The girls finally took a nap!

I loved this experience - being in the mountains, on the ranch. It reminds me of the beautiful place that is so close to me and that I need to take better advantage of.

What else? Well, Operation Door Lock is going screamingly. Literally. Hannah does not like it. We can see her in the video monitor so we know she's safe and we unlock it once she's asleep. I didn't want to go this route, but the child will not stay in her bed, let alone her room. So here we are. Bite me, Dr. Sears.

Daddy likes to snooze on the couch after Emma goes to bed and when Hannah is watching a movie before she goes to bed. Hannah asked Daddy if he was sleeping and he told her he was just resting his eyes. So when Hannah looked over at him again and saw his eyes closed she said, "Daddy? You're just resting your eyes, right?"

1 comment:

  1. Have not read the blog for a while, but checked in. I will say it again about your sister, that is a big deal to finish the Iron Woman. Good for her, impressive.

    I do not like to put this out there, but yet, we too lock the kids in. We never needed to do it with Chance, but darn Mason would leave his room and the house if we did not. He does not like it, but he goes to sleep, and we unlock it when we go to bed. As for the two kids in one room, you are dead on, all Chance and Mason do most nights is play with each other and get wound up. I hope one day it will settle down, like when they are 23...........

    ReplyDelete