Getting Hannah ready for "school" in the morning is no easy feat. (I realize that this is going to be even more difficult once I am back at work and we have to get not one, but two babies ready and out the door.) The morning generally starts with crying from Hannah's room while she is waiting for someone to come rescue her (someone who, no doubt, is having trouble getting out of bed because they were up at some point during the night feeding the other one). That "someone" is usually me, Mommy. Hannah usually greets me with, "I want my Daddy." I'm thinking, "well good morning to you, too," but instead politely tell Hannah that Daddy is in the shower (which is usually the truth, or close to it). She asks for Daddy some more but finally settles for Mommy. We then do our little dance of me trying to outfit Hannah in something and Hannah telling me "no like" or "not that one." This is all fascinating at 6:30 a.m. I generally try to give Hannah some choices and she picks her outfit, and we move on.
Well, yesterday I wasn't so kind. Hannah wanted to look at her Knuffle Bunny Too book, so while she was distracted, I pulled an outfit from the closet (a very cute dress-and-pants number) and started to dress her. I got the dress over her head and started putting her arms in when she started protesting. Screaming, really. She did not like my choice. I figured the dress was already on so I would just keep going. Hannah was having none of it and proceeded to have a full-on tantrum. Still, I persisted. I wanted to win this one.
After some struggling, I realized that I had lost. Hannah had wiggled her way out of the dress and wasn't letting me get the pants on her. I finally asked her why she didn't like that outfit and she told me, "too tight." The short cap sleeves have some elastic in them, so I'm guessing that was the problem. I actually felt really badly about this. I should have listened to her in the first place. But who is a perfect mom at 6:30 a.m.?
Hannah picked another outfit and all was fine... until she insisted on wearing open-toed sandals, a no-no at school. And the drama continued.
Such is life with a two-year-old.
No comments:
Post a Comment